How to Increase Self-Confidence at Work
What is Self-confidence?
Self-confidence is the assurance or faith you have in yourself and your ability to accomplish certain tasks. This could be the thin dividing line between success and failure.Self-confidence enables you to approach any situation with an optimistic attitude and deal with it in a fearless and clear-headed way. Self-confidence is constantly in demand at the workplace. The challenges and opportunities that present themselves to you, the pressure of work, the need to prove yourself etc., all call for some degree of self-confidence. You could end up feeling like a ‘nobody’, battered by stress and the pressure to remain in the rat race, if you lack self-confidence.
Is it possible to Increase Self-confidence ?
Yes, self-confidence can be learned and acquired. It is not an inherited trait. Most often in our workplaces we are required to do more, learn more and face more complicated situations everyday. In such stressful environments people may not always appreciate your efforts or applaud your accomplishments. People may even be rude or curt, just expecting you to deliver the goods. To be able to deal with such a tough environment, you would really need to be at your confident best. It is the only way to keep abreast of things in the workplace. Here is a list of things you which could do everyday to increase self-confidence.
30 Ways to Improve Self-confidence.
1. Take time to appreciate the good in you. Make it a habit to see the positive qualities you have. Write them down for a ready reference. Learn to develop a positive self-image which is the basis of self- confidence.
Appearance: Stand before the mirror and look at your appearance and note the positive qualities about your appearance. Play up these aspects of your personality.
Potentials: Likewise, take time to list out your capabilities, talents and potential and commend yourself on your achievements.
Personal qualities: Pick out the qualities that make you stand out as a person. Focus on these qualities and try to make them even better.
Talents: List your specific talents and skills and try to work on them and polish them to a fine level.
2. Positive self-talk – Consciously develop the habit of positive self-talk. Refuse to indulge in belittling your achievements or talents while speaking to others. Make it a point to speak positively about yourself, your potential and your efforts.
3. Stop negative thoughts – Negative thoughts are your biggest enemy. They have a great way of undermining your self-confidence. Put an end to negative thoughts about yourself, and replace them with positive thoughts as we had listed earlier.
4. Focus on positive action – It is easy to focus on problems, but they only help to undermine your self-confidence. It is important to focus on solutions and not on problems. Focus on what you can do to solve your problems. Give it your best shot and let the rest be.
5. Be assertive – Assertiveness is a great skill to develop if you want to increase self-confidence. Remember that assertiveness is not arrogance or rudeness, but a way of expressing your opinion firmly. You need to be assertive so that people take you seriously, and in the workplace, assertiveness is an important skill to develop. Assertiveness helps you to have an opinion on any issue and stand by it.
6. Stop comparisons – It is important to remember that you are unique. Comparing yourself to others may not really help. You need to set your own goals and move ahead. Your personal goals are not dependent on others. Comparisons can make you competitive and oftentimes negative. However, when you are on the path of self-development, your focus is positive and only tuned towards improving your best qualities.
7. Motivate yourself – Intrinsic motivation or self-motivation is what helps you progress. You need to find your motivation to achieve your goals. Your inner urge for self-improvement should be the basis of your motivation. When you learn the art of motivating yourself, you will find your confidence increasing. You will also start believing that the sky is the limit.
8. Be passionate – Passion urges you to reach your goals. Passion is the biggest motivator that you can find. Teach yourself to be passionate about the things that you do and it will be easier to achieve your goals while you take a major leap in the area of self-confidence.
9. It is okay to make mistakes – Perfectionism is a huge hindrance to self-growth and productivity. It does not allow you to make mistakes. You need to know that it is okay to err, but make every failure a lesson for the future. When you find the strength to grow after each fall, you would find your confidence increasing rapidly.
10. Forgive yourself – It is human to err. Very often, we are harder on ourselves than we are towards others. We are unforgiving and ponder deeply over our mistakes, often blowing them out of proportion. You need to forgive yourself. You gain more self-confidence from the progress you make.
Tips to Improve Self-confidence
11. Learn from every opportunity – You are never too old to learn. Do not stop learning. Every person, every opportunity and every situation, however negative it may seem, is an opportunity to learn and grow. Without problems, there is no growth. Every solution you come up, with increases your self-confidence.
12. Gratitude – Gratitude is the best attitude. Even though it may seem clichéd, gratitude is the only way to keep your confidence levels up. Gratitude is another word for positive thinking. It helps you look at every opportunity from a positive point of view and be thankful for all the good that you have. When you have an attitude of gratitude, you train your mind to remain positive at all times.
13. Learn to accept compliments – Brushing aside compliments is like telling the person who is paying you the compliment that you are not worth it or that their judgement is poor. Graciously accepting compliments bolsters your self-image and gradually aids in improving self-confidence.
14. Learn a new skill – Self-confidence depends upon your ability to face situations. By learning newer skills or enhancing what you already have, you help increase your confidence. It is good to learn a new skill every few months. The more skilled you are, the more you can accomplish and the more confident you become.
15.Break one unacceptable habitevery once in a while – Most of us have habits that have become so much a part of us, of which we may or may not be aware. These habits may not sit well with others. List those habits that you would like to break. Embark on a program of getting rid of these habits and replacing them with newer and healthier habits.
16. Un-clutter your life – Clutter is a major hindrance to productivity. It changes your focus from your goals towards things that are not important. It causes you to waste much time sorting through things. Simple living is the key to a happier and confident life.
17. Get organised – Set your priorities straight and organize your time, energy and focus on the things that are most important to you. Being organized will help you achieve more in your workplace. You also need to organise your surroundings, the way you work and the way you approach things.
18. Take calculated risks – Without taking risks, you can never achieve anything big. The ability to take calculated risks and finding your way through difficulties increases your confidence to a level nothing else can.
19. Surround yourself with positive company – When you surround yourself with positive people, there is a lot of action and energy that is goal directed. Being with such people helps you become more positive and confident.
20. Stop hiding behind walls, occupy the spotlight – Well, you may not really need to occupy the spotlight, but when you stop hiding behind walls and become comfortable in your skin, you learn to be more confident of yourself. Though it does seem hard at first, especially if you are an introvert, it helps you to widen your social networks and become more self-confident.
How to Be More Confident
21. Mentor someone – Often mentoring a person who is new or who needs help in some areas where you are highly skilled helps you to become more confident. Mentoring is a positive activity that helps to develop potential in another person. When you engage yourself in such activities, you help increase your confidence.
22. Be gracious in your assessment of others – Be willing to look at others from a positive perspective. The ability to compliment others on their positive qualities helps you to become less conscious of yourself and more aware of the goodness in others. This often brings about a reciprocal action when people become positive in their judgement of you, which in turn helps to increase your confidence.
23. Live each moment as it comes– The ability to make the best of every moment and live in the moment is what life is all about. The past is behind you and the future is not certain. All you have is the present and making the best of it helps you live a fulfilled and confident life.
24. Set goals and draw up plans to achieve them – A life with purpose is the only way to increase your confidence. Celebrate every success, however little it might be, on the way to your goals. These celebrations not only motivate you, but also help increase self-confidence.
25. Grab every opportunity that comes your way – Talk yourself into why you should take advantage of them, rather than talking yourself out of them.
26. Overcome fear – Fear is a sign of lack of self-confidence. You can only overcome fears by facing them. When you have faced a problem, you learn to overcome your fears and increase your confidence.
27. Take the good with the bad – Life is all about balance. Achieving a work life balance is essential for your happiness and self-confidence. If you only accept what is good and you cannot handle the bad, you would only be grumbling about the not so good, and letting good go unnoticed.
28. Admit your mistakes – To be able to take responsibility for your mistakes is a great sign of confidence. This habit, when cultivated, helps you to live a life of confidence.
29. Take responsibility for your life and your actions – Excuses only allow you to shirk your responsibility. Put an end to the practice of giving excuses. When you take responsibility for your life, you get into the driver’s seat. From then on your life becomes a story of great confidence.
30. Eat healthy and take care of your body – Though your confidence does not depend on external appearances, it does take a beating when your health fails and you get out of shape. Eating healthy helps you remain in good health, while getting some exercises to your every day routine, helps you live a fuller life.
Although many advocate faking your way to confidence, I believe it takes some hard work to increase self-confidence. Faking confidence may land you into some undesirable situations and you may feel like you are living a lie. Adopting these tips to your everyday life could surely help increase self-confidence.